Importance and Benefits of Cycling
Benefits of Cycling
After running, cycling is regarded as one of the most popular exercise forms to stay fit and healthy. Cycling, if practiced regularly is one of the best forms of exercise to keep in shape as it renders intense exercise for all parts of the body.
Thinking of improving your cardio-respiratory endurance and muscle strength at the same time? Give cycling a serious thought as it is known to reduce the risk of heart problems considerably. For obese people, cycling is a very good option as it helps a lot in reducing the extra flabs. People suffering from diabetes can also opt for cycling as cycling is known to reduce mental tension, stress, depression and emotional imbalance.The only thing lacking in cycling is flexibility as there is almost little or no chance of twisting and stretching as in swimming or tennis.
Cycling also provides complete mental refreshment and fun -- group cycling and casual cycle races with friends and family is really enjoyable. With your friends, you can even venture into long-distance cycling expeditions to any serene countryside.
Sounds interesting? With Altius Compare you can now buy the best bikes at the best bargain with no hassle at all. Just compare the prices of all the leading brands and chose the one best for you. Do not forget to buy your helmet and other essential accessories at the time of buying the bike itself!
No matter you are a kiddo or an adult, a man or woman, all can be benefited from the numerous health benefits of cycling. From improving the metabolism to developing balance and coordination, cycling can be advantageous for you in more ways than listed:
- Regular cycling increases the endurance of our circulatory and cardiovascular system. While cycling, the heart beats faster than it normally does to pump blood and supply oxygen to all parts of our body quickly. The heart, which is also a muscle, is strengthened by this exercise of circulating blood. People who are into cycling are thus less prone to cardio-respiratory diseases. While cycling, you can burn calories between 200 – 750 calories in an hour!
- Cycling is an effective exercise for patients with higher BP or blood pressure.
- Good cholesterol or High Density Lipoprotein in blood with the practice of cycling regularly. It also brings down the level of cholesterol in blood. Cycling works on increasing our muscle strength and balance. It is also known to aid in joints mobility and its lubrication. The thighs and calves are exercised intensely and thus become toned. With cycling, people also start showing a relative development in the posture.
- Cycling is good for those who suffer from joint problems. The patients of arthritis may not be able to do weight bearing type of exercises. Cycling is an excellent alternative for them to increase flexibility.
- Believe it or not, cycling also benefits your skin! As the blood flow is increased in all the body, the skin also receives a fair amount of blood circulation and oxygen supply. Dead cells and the body’s heat are removed as waste through sweating as well.
- Cycling improves your body stamina a lot and this is reflected in all the daily activities of the person.
- Cycling, apart from being an impressive physical exercise, is also a refreshing thing to do to reduce stress.
- Choosing cycle over other modes of transportation is environment friendly too- you are befriending the environment with no pollution and no blowing horns!
- Cycling yields a healthy body and sound mind. Even the World health Organization termed cycling as a 'highly suitable activity' for keeping the body fit. Since cycling is a mode of transportation as well, you are actually exercising while you are traveling, and thus there’s no need to push yourself to run to the gym if you do not have time.
- While you are cycling up and out of the saddle, your body weight is getting transferred to your legs which in turn exercise the muscle groups in the limbs. Previously, it was thought that cycling in a standing posture is less energy efficient. However, researchers have dismissed the thought and proved that if it is done correctly, energy is not wasted at all.
Across the globe, depression and other diseases due to the decadent lifestyle are on a rise. A response that has developed against the downgradation of health and environment is the idea of Active Travel. The idea is to promote walking and cycling as the effective alternatives to riding cars and other motorized vehicles.
True as it is, even if you are not into too much of cycling, there is no harm in cycling if the distance you are going to travel is relatively short. Try this environment-friendly mode of transport not only to reach places, but also to keep yourself fit and brimming with stamina!
Updated on : 07 July 2011 8:19 AM